Ryan Sweeney is the Director of Analytics at Ignite Social Media and has been in the industry of social analytics since “before the major networks released official analytics platforms.” That means he’s more than equipped to lead a workshop at this year’s Social Media Strategies Summit in San Francisco titled “Insights with Impact: Maximize the Value of Your Social Media Analytics.” In this workshop, Ryan will teach attendees how to pair business objectives and specific customer journeys to create an actionable measurement plan.
Ryan was kind enough to answer some questions we had about analytics and his session at the summit, as well as his thoughts on the industry in general.
Delving into analytics can be a little intimidating for marketers who tend to favor more creative situations. What are some tips you have for social media marketers who want to add analytics to their daily routine and resume?
Can you walk us through a day in the life in your role at Ignite Social Media? Are there many other departments or stakeholders within the company that you collaborate with regularly?
- We work with the strategy team to identify the KPIs that are most relevant to the client.
- We work with the community management and content creation teams to identify what types of content, topics, and creative are resonating with the audience and driving the most-efficient business results.
- The analytics team also works hand-in-hand with the paid media team, monitoring campaign performance and collaborating on optimizations based on efficiency and objective.
- We also regularly collaborate with the account management team when communicating the story of a client’s social media presence.
- Outside of the agency, as ISM is a social-only agency, we also collaborate with other agencies in the digital, search, and email marketing space; working with them to ensure social media fits within the holistic marketing strategy for a brand.